The Google Play Service is the Android service application and client library where Google is now integrating most of their services. On July, 2013, the supported features are as like following.
① Google Play Game Service
② Location APIs
③ Google+ Integrated Service for Android
④ Google Maps Version 2
⑤ Google Authorization Service, called as Auth 2.0
⑥ Google Cloud Messaging
⑦ Google Play In-app Billing APIs ( not part of Google Play Service application)
⑧ Google Play Distribution ( supported through Google Play store application)
⑨ Google AdMob Ads ( not part of Google Play service application)
The below diagram shows how it works.
<Picture 1: How Google Play Service works>
However, the services such as Google AdMob and In-App Billing APIs are not integrated yet into Google Play Service.
Therefore, these Google Services work as like following.
< Picture 2: How AdMob and In-app billing(V3) work>
As we can see the above diagram, the difference between Google Play Service and AdMob, In-app Billing Services is
- There is an intermediate application that transmits an API call from client library or not.
- In case of Google Play Service, when the new, updated, or even some bug patches are coming out, just updating Google Play Service apk would be enough. ( if there are no changes in the client library side )
- This architecture enables Google to distribute their services more freely and independently regardless of OEM device manufacturer’s support.
- That’s the reason why most of Google Services are being bound to Google Play Services application.( I believe that Admob and In-app billing services will be unified into Google Play Services sooner or later.)
Also, we need to keep it in mind that all of Google Services work with the additional support of Server side settings.
- The Google Developer Console web page provides all of configuration regarding about Google Services.
- Under the Google Developer Console, developers can easily configure or simply turn on and off a certain Google Service features bound to their application.
Finally, we can guess that Gooogle’s controlling is more powerful with this model. Though Android is the open source and released, the comparable Google service needs this Google Play Service model. If there are some Android customized OS which doesn’t load “Google Play Store” and “Google Play Service application” , there is high possibility that more and more Android apps will not work properly on this customized Android OS.
In the following section, the each of Google Play Services will be investigated in a detail. Again, some of features are the most comparable and more and more applications might bind it within them. However, other features might not be spread out in a short time due to several reasons from technical or business view point.
Stay tuned, get back in couple days.
You can see the previous post as clicking follow link
You can see next post as like following link